Rural addresses are assigned by the Fremont County and are used by the 911 system to find you in case of an emergency and by the Postal Service or other delivery services for package delivery.

If your property doesn’t have an address or has an incorrect address it may delay the arrival of help during an emergency.

If you purchase or own rural property in Fremont County, you will need to contact the GIS Technician to get a rural address assigned to it prior to construction.

If you are buying property that has an already existing house or business on it, you should check with the GIS Technician to make sure there is an address assigned to it.

If you are planning to build on your property, be aware most utility companies will not install service to your property unless you have a rural address, so it is best to get your address early on in the building process to prevent potential construction delays.

Getting an address may require some additional legwork on your part prior to applying. Here are some requirements prior to getting an address:

          1.  Will you be accessing off a State Hwy?
If yes, you must first acquire an Access Permit from WYDOT.
          2.  Will you be accessing off a County Road?
                   If yes, you must first acquire an Access Permit from Fremont County
          3.  Will you be accessing off a Private Road?
                   If yes, you can apply for an address now.
          4.  Are you applying for an address on Tribal Land?
                   If yes, you must first acquire an Access Permit from Tribal Transportation  
                   and you must have a signed copy of your lease agreement.

Getting an address:
Once you have received any of the above listed permits, you can stop in the Planning Department Office or go online to fill out the Rural Address Request Form. The fee for obtaining a new rural address if $95.00 or $100.00, depending on the number of digits on your sign (6 or more numbers may require a bigger sign). Please bring cash or a check as we are not currently set up to take credit cards. Some other items that will be required to help with addressing are:
  • A Mapserver screenshot of the parcel and adjacent properties indicating where the proposed driveway and home will be located.
  • A copy of a survey, deed or plat map with indicated location for the driveway. This is a requirement for all addressing on tribal land located on the Wind River Reservation.

Placing Your Address Sign:
Once you are assigned an address by the GIS Technician, you will receive a white on red reflective address sign.

Attach the address sign on a pole or post at the driveway where you will access your property.

Do not put your address sign on your house or other structures on your property. Remember, the ambulance or fire truck will be traveling at high speed so locating your sign so it is easily visible from the road is important!

The reflective quality of the old-style address numbers fade over time due to exposure to the sun. It is the property owner’s responsibility to replace these numbers when they begin to fade. The Planning Department will assist you in ordering a new address sign. Please refer to the Fee Schedule for the cost of address signs.